Asparagus - Spring's Favorite Vegetable
The Health Benefits of Asparagus
Nutritional Contents of Asparagus
Asparagus has been a part of the human diet for over 10,000 years owing to its richness in various vitamins and minerals.
Asparagus is rich in folate, potassium, vitamins C and K. It contains a fair amount of antioxidants and B-complex vitamins.
For the weight-conscious, asparagus is a perfect addition to the dietary intake as it is very low in calories while containing healthy amounts of essential nutrients.
Health Benefits of Asparagus
1. Detox: Due to it fibre content, cooked asparagus helps increase bowel movements and acts as a laxative. Along with its watery juices, cooked asparagus helps in dissolving uric acid deposits. This cleanses the body of toxins and waste.
2. Reduces fatigue: Asparagus contains substances that act as a diuretic. This helps in detoxification, helping expunge ammonia from the body. This helps in reducing fatigue.
3. Strengthening blood vessels: Substances in asparagus can prevent the rupture of small blood vessels.
4. Production of Collagen: The rich vitamin C content enhances the bodies production of collagen. This is a necessity as it is one of the body’s major structural component of connective tissue.
5. Reduced risk of heart disease: Asparagus is rich in folate (vitamin B9) which helps in keeping homocysteine, a chemical that’s linked to cardiovascular disease, in check.
6. Alzheimer’s disease (prevention): Patients who die of Alzheimer’s disease have lesser folate levels indicating that asparagus can help reduce Alzheimer’s related deaths.
7. Reduce Hypertension: Asparagus is good for those suffering from hypertension (when the sodium in blood is much higher than potassium) as it contains a healthy amount of potassium.
8. Healthy pregnancy: Asparagus is particularly recommended for pregnant women as the rich folate content helps reduce the risk of birth defects such as neural tube defects in babies.
9. Healthy skin: The presence of anitoxidants helps keep the skin healthy. Blemishes on the face can be removed by washing the face with water from boiled asparagus.
Additional benefits: Asparagus contains vitamins, minerals and other substances that could help in reducing the risk of cancer, osteoporosis, arthritis and aid in relieving PMS symptoms.
Information courtsey of Sweet Corn Organic Nursey at www.sweetcornorganicnursery.com