Recipe - Peach Dutch Baby with Blueberry Sauce
Prep time: 15 min | Cook time: 20 min | Total time: 35 min
Number of servings (yield): 4
This dish should be served warm, soon after it’s taken out of the oven. Serve it right from the skillet. This is a great dish for a late breakfast or brunch, as well. Just omit the ice cream.
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. cornstarch
- 3 Tbsp. water
- 1 cup wild (or regular) fresh blueberries
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
Dutch Baby Batter:
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter, divided
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp. sugar, divided
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt (or pinch of table salt)
- 2-3 peaches, halved, pitted, cut into 1/2-inch wedges (no need to peel)
- Powdered sugar,for dusting
- Vanilla Ice Cream (optional, but desirable)
- Prepare blueberry sauce:
- In a small saucepan, whisk together the sugar and cornstarch. Whisk in water. Add blueberries and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and berries are softened, about 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice. Set aside. (Can be made ahead and refrigerated. Simply re-warm before using to top dessert).
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Melt 2 Tbsp. in the microwave and then pour into a blender or food processor. Add the eggs, milk, flour, 1 Tbsp. sugar, vanilla extract, and salt. Blend batter until smooth. Let sit in blender, while you prepare the peaches.
- Heat a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add the remaining 2 Tbsp. of butter and melt. Add the remaining 2 Tbsp. sugar and cook, stirring constantly, until the sugar starts to caramelize, about 2 minutes. Add peaches to skillet and increase heat to medium-high. Cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 2 minutes.
- Briefly re-blend the batter, then pour evenly over peaches. Transfer the skillet to the pre-heated oven.
- Bake pancake until puffed and golden brown all over, about 18-22 minutes. It will deflate as soon as it’s removed from the oven. Don’t despair. That’s what it is supposed to do.
- Dust pancake generously with powdered sugar and top with 3 or 4 scoops of vanilla ice cream. Top ice cream with some blueberry sauce, then serve immediately right from the skillet.
Recipe and Photo Courtesy of Seasons and Suppers at http://www.seasonsandsuppers.ca/peach-dutch-baby-with-blueberry-sauce/